a glass is not a glass
- Adam Basanta
- Year of composition: 2008-09
- Duration: 18:56
- Instrumentation: stereo fixed medium
“a glass is a glass is a glass” — adapted from Gertrude Stein
“Ceci n’est pas un verre” — adapted from René Magritte
The sound of a common wine glass encapsulates both its banal everyday use as well as the inherent musicality of everyday objects. This ordinary sound, excited by various means, is treated with a metaphoric sonic magnifying lens, highlighting its various characteristics: attack and resonance, harmonicity and inharmonicity, rhythm and texture.
The untreated sound functions as both departure and arrival points, allowing elastic musical elaborations between each concréte bookend. This interplay, between the recognizable qoutidian sound and its more abstract modulations, acts as the main developmental motif in the piece, and is explored throughout eleven intertwined movements.
A glass is not a glass received the third prize of the Sound in Space Competition (Boston, MA, USA, 2011).
- Prize, Student, 6th Biennial Acousmatic Composition Competition Métamorphoses 2010, Ohain (Belgium)
- 2nd prize, CEC, Jeu de temps / Times Play (JTTP) 2010, Canada
- Mention, Concurso Internacional de Composição Electroacústica Música Viva 2010, Parede (Portugal)
- 3rd prize, Sound and Space 2011, Boston (Massachusetts, USA)