De Grêle is the solo project of bassist / composer Sylvain Gagné. Influenced by both American psychedelic and experimental bands from the 1960s and ’70s (Red Crayola, Grateful Dead, Captain Beefheart) and German krautrock (Can, Amon Düül II, Faust), De Grêle mixes minimalism, drone and largely improvised noise music.
Various analog and digital effects, as well as guitars and field recordings, blend in with bass lines in densely layered compositions incorporating static and white noise. Occasionally, repetitive themes and melodies create a meditative mood that at times evolves into sparse and minimalist moments or elsewhere steps into chaos, where frenzy takes over order and structure.
De Grêles’ music — whose sources of inspiration include concepts and ideas relating to insanity, loss of memory and psychosis — thus become a constant overlapping of abstract/improvised sections and more concrete ones.
- Composer(s): Sylvain Gagné
- Performer(s): De Grêle
- Graphic design: Fabrizio Gilardino
- Mastering: Maxime Corbeil-Perron
Download (MKR 108)
- 1Placebo Rail Commander (2017), 5:40De Grêle, electric bass, efx pedals, sampling
- 2Délirium (il dit voir des mariposas) (2017), 6:20De Grêle, electric bass, electric guitar, efx pedals, synthesizers, sampling
- 3Souvenirs de rien (2017), 5:35De Grêle, electric bass, acoustic guitar, efx pedals, analog synthesizer, programmed rhythms
- 4interlude (2017), 2:01De Grêle, electric bass, electric guitar, efx pedals, programmed rhythm, micro contact, miscellaneous objects
- 5Rien dans les poches (2017), 7:50De Grêle, analog synthesizer, electric guitar, efx pedals, sampling
- 6Lac noir (2017), 5:40De Grêle, electric guitar, electric bass, efx pedals, flute
- Label: Mikroclimat
- MKR 108
- UCC 771028300884