- Composer(s): Charles Duquette, Adrian Sical
- Performer(s): Fanfare Jarry, Isak Goldschneider, Pierre-Emmanuel Poizat, Benjamin Deschamps, Mario Allard, Alexandre Dion, Némo Venba, Isabelle Verville, Jean Sabourin, Vincent Brossard, Julie Houle, Charles Duquette, Marton Maderspach
- Graphic design: Damián Nisenson
The Montreal based Fanfare Jarry is an ensemble of wind and percussion instruments, but above all, it is twelve musicians who love playing music and their instruments. Their energy and passion can be heard within seconds in their first album, La 1re fois.
Recorded at Studio 270 in two sessions during the winters of 2013 and 2014, all instruments were recorded in the same room because I wanted the listener to feel the interaction between all of the musicians. This is a key element in the artistic process of many Eastern European fanfares. In addition, I kept to a minimum the number of takes and edits in order to preserve as much as possible the authenticity and artistic integrity of the music. Mixed by Robert Langlois and mastered by Bernard Slobodian, the album gives off a natural sound, one where we can really hear the rich timbral palette of this young ensemble.
Of the eleven tracks on the album, La 1re fois, ten are my original compositions, inspired by the Fanfare Ciocarlia and such well-known composers as Steve Reich, Edgare Varèse and Igor Stravinsky. I am also influenced by the rich multi-cultural atmosphere of my adopted neighborhood, Parc-Extension in Montreal, inspiring me to include certain colours and African rhythms in my compositions. Throughout this unique melting pot for this type of instrumentation, I present to you a fresh sound for wind ensemble. Happy listening and bon voyage!
Charles Duquette, composer, percussionist and artistic director
- Malasartes musique
- MAM 020 / 2014
- UPC/EAN 771028227020
- Total duration: 43:19
- 1Bidibidi (2012), 3:09
- 2La 1re fois (2004), 3:24
- 3Bon voyage (2011), 5:12
- 4Rusasca de la Buzdug/Balaseanca de 8 Ore (1997), 3:45
- 5Un coin de Paradis (2010), 4:00
- 6Ftoum (2007), 4:17
- 7Babino et Babinette (2012), 3:58
- 8Mr. Z (2012), 3:12
- 9La 2e fois (2011), 3:39
- 10Finalement (2012), 3:33
- 11Prudes Gertrudes (2012), 4:43
La 1re fois
CD 2MAM 020CAD 16.95