This item is also included in the 24 Frames — Scatter + Trance box set (AM 905).
… finely crafted, note perfect, and… performed with a pristine timbre… — Musicworks, Canada
… immense, assured and accomplished work — The WholeNote, Canada
It’s two compacts discs: the first: 6 duos for electric guitar with other instruments played by Bradyworks, the second: 12 compositions for electric guitar (with and without effects pedals)
- Ambiances Magnétiques
- AM 206 / 2011
- UPC/EAN 771028120628
- Total duration: 96:29
- 44,1 kHz, 16 bits
- 124 Frames: Scatter (2008), 8:53electric guitar and fixed medium
- 224 Frames: In Almost Unison (2008), 6:34electric guitar and fixed medium
- 324 Frames: Canonic Strategies (2007), 8:28electric guitar and fixed medium
- 424 Frames: Still (2008), 10:22electric guitar and fixed medium
- 524 Frames: Shadow (2007), 8:52electric guitar and fixed medium
- 624 Frames: Four Elements (2007)electric guitar and fixed medium
- 124 Frames: Threefold Scordatura: Push (2010), 2:55electric guitar and fixed medium
- 224 Frames: Threefold Scordatura: Pull (2010), 3:31electric guitar and fixed medium
- 324 Frames: Threefold Scordatura: Hold (2010), 4:00electric guitar and fixed medium
- 424 Frames: Delay Tactics: Clouds (2010), 3:29electric guitar and fixed medium
- 524 Frames: Delay Tactics: Discretion (2010), 3:29electric guitar and fixed medium
- 624 Frames: Delay Tactics: Pursuit (2010), 2:52electric guitar and fixed medium
- 724 Frames: Delay Tactics: Slant (2010), 2:53electric guitar and fixed medium
- 824 Frames: Five Colours: Azure (2010), 3:01electric guitar and fixed medium
- 924 Frames: Five Colours: Sienna (2010), 3:01electric guitar and fixed medium
- 1024 Frames: Five Colours: Lava (2010), 3:25electric guitar and fixed medium
- 1124 Frames: Five Colours: Harlequin (2010), 2:24electric guitar and fixed medium
- 1224 Frames: Five Colours: Tenné (2010), 2:37electric guitar and fixed medium
24 Frames — Scatter
2 × CD 2.0AM 206CAD 16.95
Some recommended items
In the press
Chris Kennedy, Musicworks, no. 113, June 1, 2012… finely crafted, note perfect, and… performed with a pristine timbre…
Andrew Timar, The WholeNote, no. 17:6, March 1, 2012… immense, assured and accomplished work
Gabriel Bélanger, SOCAN, Paroles & Musique, no. 18:4, December 1, 2011
Réjean Beaucage, Voir, October 6, 2011Les pièces sont surprenantes, et il est difficile de pointer une préférence.
François Couture, Monsieur Délire, September 26, 2011… a tour de force that brings back the fact that, beyond his symphonies and multimedia projects, Tim Brady remains an exceptional guitarist…
Tim Brady’s 24 Frames series (this double CD and its companion 24 Frames—Trance, from 2010) is about precision and virtuosity. Billed as a larger project of “24 compositions… atmospheres… scenarios… [and] ways of playing guitar,” the Scatter discs offer six duos and twelve miniatures (solo pieces) composed by Brady. All are finely crafted, note perfect, and are performed with a pristine timbre— perhaps too pristine for my taste. Brady’s duets expand the virtuosity that’s at play, with him often challenging his fellow musicians to duals with his fret board.
Jean-Marc Bouchard (baritone sax), Lori Freedman (bass clarinet) and Karen Young (voice) all take the challenge and keep pace with Brady’s sizzling fingers on their respective instruments. Young’s vocal range is particularly impressive and at points she perfectly matches the texture of the distortion that Brady adds to his sounds. The highlight of the duets is a lovely piece with violist Pemi Paull. The warmth of his playing adds a particularly good counterpoint to Brady and encourages a beautiful interlude between some of the more ostentatious work.
The miniatures disc shows even more of Brady’s talents, with a bit of warm flare overcoming some of the previous showiness. Threefold Scordatura finds him creating nice Frissell-like forays around his guitar, while Delay Tactics sees him creating wild sonic escapades out of the possibilities of four types of delay pedals. Finally, Five Colours ends the collection with a series of descriptive sound colours that end the project on a particularly warm note.
Voici deux CD qui bouclent le cycle 24 Frames du guitariste Tim Brady, amorcé par un coffret CD/DVD paru en 2010. Le premier disque fait entendre des duos entre la guitare électrique et les membres de Bradyworks. Les pièces sont surprenantes, et il est difficile de pointer une préférence entre les duos avec voix (Karen Young), sax baryton (Jean-Marc Bouchard), clarinette basse (Lori Freedman), alto (Pemi Paull), trombone basse (Trevor Dix) ou percussions (Catherine Meunier). Le deuxième CD présente Brady en solo, et offre un excellent aperçu de la vaste palette sonore et stylistique du compositeur, comme de ses capacités d’instrumentiste! 4/5
It took Tim Brady five years to complete 24 Frames, a series of 24 solo and duo pieces for electric guitar and electronics. On record, 24 Frames is split across two separate releases. Released earlier this year, 24 Frames: Trance features the last six “frames” on a CD accompanied by a DVD. 24 Frames: Scatter features pieces 1 through 18 on two CDs. Disc 1 contains six duos with members of Bradyworks and Quasar, plus other musicians. Jazz singer Karen Young is the most surprising duettist here, in Frame 1: Scatter, but the best track is Frame 2: In Almost Unison with baritone sax player Jean-Marc Bouchard. Disc 2 features 12 short pieces for solo electric guitar grouped in three cycles, with and without electronics — a tour de force that brings back the fact that, beyond his symphonies and multimedia projects, Tim Brady remains an exceptional guitarist and a commanding composer for his instrument. Recommended.